Subject: Re: Further observations...
To: Justin R. Smith <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/1998 12:31:00
Justin R. Smith wrote:
> Thanks for answering my questions, Mr. Wood!  I'll download hfsutils and
> build them. I also overlooked the ability to use the Installer to simply
> copy files into the Unix system via cpin and cpout...

You're welcome, and, yes, the Installer does work as well, although I find
hfsutils to be a bit faster.

> I'm in the throes of building clisp (a free common Lisp). It comes with an
> elaborate configure script that tests (among other things) for a working
> 'mmap' function. (It is capable of running without it (about 7% slower)).
>
> Unfortunately the very TEST for 'mmap' crashes the kernel, dropping me into
> a debugger.  The only viable option, at this point seems to be to reboot.
>
> I had to rename the include file for 'mmap' (sys/mman.h -> sys/z_mman.h)so
> the configure script wouldn't even test for it.  This may be a BSD 4.4 bug
> rather than something peculiar to NetBSD.

Hmmm....strange.  You might want to read through the configure script and
figure out what it is trying to do when it tests mmap().  It's conceivable
that it's not obeying the way NetBSD does it (although I'd doubt NetBSD's
mmap() is called different from anyone else's).  I've had munmap() cause a
crash before, but never mmap()...

Later.