Subject: Re: Further observations...
To: Justin R. Smith <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/07/1998 12:45:57
Justin R. Smith wrote:
> I'm running 1.3 on a Performa 475 (with a 68040 processor)
>
> 1. The vt220 emulation (by the console) doesn't handle arrow keys properly
> (at least 'vi' doesn't seem to like it). This is remedied (badly) by
> setting term to vt100 and doing a reset.  All in all, I will probably be
> using X windows for my comman-line work...

Just use the 'h', 'j', 'k', and 'l' keys for arrows :-)  Actually, I find
that the arrow keys usually work fine as long as I don't type them too
quickly.  However, I think that there is a subtle problem with keyboard
support at the moment in that the extended and standard keyboards seem to
send different codes for the arrow keys (and I think that the keyboard
driver favor extended keyboards).

> 2. In order to get X-windows running properly, you have to create a file
> /etc/ld.so.conf
>
> containing a line that has
>
> /usr/X11/lib
>

> and create a symbolic link from /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11

Well, you could actually avoid the second step by simply creating
/etc/ld.so.conf with a line like:

/usr/X11R6/lib

:-)  There should be no dependency on the existence of /usr/X11 anywhere,
although I have a strong feeling that the default dot files may have one,
I can't remember for sure, tho.

BTW, the above should be mentioned quite clearly in the INSTALL doc,
probably at the end.

> Questions (I apologize if they are FAQs):

And speaking of the FAQ, you might want to take a look at it:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/

or

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/

> 1. How does one access ordinary Macintosh files?  I noticed a command
> mount_dos. Is there a corresponding operation for Macintosh files?

Not yet.  Everyone who has done work on Unix-based HFS support seems to
have put it under the GPL, as a result, we don't have anything like that
in the kernel.  However, there is an excellent set of utilities you can
download and compile for this purpose, called the hfsutils.  I don't seem
to have a copy of the URL at the moment, but I guess I should find it and
add it to the FAQ....

> 2. Is there a way to boot with virtual memory turned on? (turning it off
> requires an extra rebooting of my Mac...)

No, not at the moment.  BTW, if you boot with the shift key held down, I
believe that it disables VM (and everything else).  Perhaps this would
save you much of the trouble of switching back and forth.

> Overall impression: Very impressive!

Cool.  I'm glad you like it.  Good luck as you dig into it more!

Later.