Subject: Re: word that isn't !h!e!l!p!: xntpd (2nd)
To: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1998 16:34:34
At 2:23 PM -0800 2/6/98, Adrian Rollett wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>> Finally you could just do what I'm told puma does and run ntpdate from cron.
>
>Just a side note:
>
>I tried that, and unless someone knows how to fix that problem, cron
>mailed root every time it did it, which got to be tiresome for me. What I
>ended up doing is writing a very quick perl script of the form

I haven't actually tried this, but you should be able to avoid the email by
redirecting output within the cron command.  Something like a
">>&/var/log/ntpdate.log" at the end of whatever command you are using.

If ntpdate has a quiet option that would be better because then you would
get email only if there were a problem.  Check man ntpdate for that.