Subject: Re: Cross-compiler help (tangent from original)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1998 16:52:24
Question having to do with cross-compiling: Can I compile on a BSDi
machine for my NetBSD 68k machine? If so, what would it require on the
BSDi side and the NetBSD side? I've never read up much on cross-compiling,
but NetBSD compiles slowly for me, and the BSDi machine is *way* fast. It
would be useful to be able to compile my stuff over there...

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Peter Corbett wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm trying to use NetBSD to compile code that will end up on a Sun
> > Sparcstation. (sun4c) Is this possible? What do I do? (This is using the
> > cc that's in comp121, on NetBSD 1.2 GENERIC, BTW.)
>
> No. It's not possable with that cc.
>
> You want to use the stock gcc for this. Get it and configure it to
> cross-compile for the Sparc. If the Sparc is running NetBSD, things won't
> be too bad.
>
> You will also need to get the latest version of binutils. If the Target OS
> is NetBSD, you'll also need the source for the NetBSD as and ld. It's not
> hard to get the as to cross-compile, there's a readme in the 1.3 source
> about it. I'm not sure how bad ld would be.
>
> The problem is that binutils doesn't know how to deal with NetBSD's shared
> libraries on a.out platforms.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
'In bliss you abide and happiness,      |         Pearl, Author Unknown
And I with woe am worn and grey;        | Translation by J.R.R. Tolkien
Oft searing sorrows I possess,          |          Stanza 33, lines 1-4
Yet little heed to that you pay.'       |