Subject: Re: Cross-compiler help
To: Peter Corbett <corbett@mtn.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1998 13:03:13
On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Peter Corbett wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to use NetBSD to compile code that will end up on a Sun
> Sparcstation. (sun4c) Is this possible? What do I do? (This is using the
> cc that's in comp121, on NetBSD 1.2 GENERIC, BTW.)

No. It's not possable with that cc.

You want to use the stock gcc for this. Get it and configure it to
cross-compile for the Sparc. If the Sparc is running NetBSD, things won't
be too bad.

You will also need to get the latest version of binutils. If the Target OS
is NetBSD, you'll also need the source for the NetBSD as and ld. It's not
hard to get the as to cross-compile, there's a readme in the 1.3 source
about it. I'm not sure how bad ld would be.

The problem is that binutils doesn't know how to deal with NetBSD's shared
libraries on a.out platforms.

Take care,

Bill