Subject: help: xntpd
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/1998 11:08:09
Hi,
beeing a newbee to NetBSD and to admin. Un*X in generall I ran into the
timeloosing problem. There were posts stating to just run xntpd to
'fix' the problem by having the system clock updated from a external
timesource.
I have been trying to get xntpd up and running but I must be doing
something wrong, as over night my mac lost 7 min. The xntpd is still
running but it doesn't seem to sync the time.
I got the ntp.conf file from our workstation aswell as the ntp.drift file
and put it in the /etc folder. They looked ok to me:
ntp.conf:
>driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
>peer 137.248.1.8     # This is a stratum2 Server
and the ntp.drift:
>-0.038756486

The xntpd gave me an error after synchronizing with 137.248.1.8, stratum=2
xntpd: time error -3488.364201 is way too large (set clock manually)

Can anyone help me with this?
Do I have to create a new driftfile and how do I do that??
Thanks for the help
--Henning