Subject: Re: Could someone fix the mac68k clock-interrupt code?
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/04/1998 02:17:03
On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 04:16:33PM -0800, Colin Wood wrote:

> However, I thought that xntpd could work around clock drift by resetting
> the real time clock to synch up with whatever it receives from the ntp
> servers.  Is this not the case, or am I just missing something in how
> xntpd works?

Um... Unless I'm being creative again, I think that xntpd works by setting
a sort of artificial drift until such time as the clock is back in synch
with whatever its source is, so that there's never a backwards jump in
time.

The problem as it relates to Macs, perhaps, is that our clocks aren't
drifting in a uniform manner - they're drifting according to load. Maybe
this makes no difference, but it's the only fly in the ointment that I
can see.

I like the idea of having higher-level interrupts doing clock maintenance,
FWIW, although I don't know what kind of performance penalties would be
involved.

Thanks in advance for corrections!

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments