Subject: Re: Misc HWDIRECT fixes
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/1998 16:09:28
On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Space Case wrote:

> On Jan 29,  1:46am, Benoit MARTEL wrote:
> >What source date is HWDIRECT.394 based on?
> >All I know is that it works fine with GENERIC56. I haven't found a newer
> >kernel and I haven't dowloaded the source to roll my own yet.
>
> There are newer kernels on:
>
>   ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/eskimo.copy/kernels/
>
> That's where I put my weekly snapshots.  When I get my account back
> (lost in disk crash), I'll be putting them on netbsd.org as well.
>
> ~Steve

Thanks for the pointers Steve!

The problem I was getting was using HWDIRECT.394:

Boot hung at the very end (after the line "root on sd0a dumps on sd0b")
no matter what I do. If I move the mouse during serial initialisation,
the kernel panics and dumps its registers and stack.

Here is what I get with these new kernels from .../eskimo.copy/kernels:

HWDIRECTSBC57:
This kernel still crashes if I move the mouse during serial init.
However, if I dont move it, it doesn't hang and finishes booting fine and
works well.

GENERICSBC57:
This kernel works fine _except_ that I cannot use my cdrom anymore.
Note that the cdrom works fine using HWDIRECTSBC57. You would think if
one works the other would, but no. Here is what I get:

vex# mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0c /cdrom
sbc0: parity error!
sbc0: parity error!
sbc0: parity error!
ncr5380_machine: unexpected disconnect.
sbc0: parity error!
Feb  2 12:49:34 vex /netbsd: ncr5380_machine: sbc0: parity error!
mount_cs9660: : Feb  2 12:49:35 vex last message repeated 2 times
Input/Output error
vex# Feb  2 12:439:35 vex /netbsd: ncr5380_machine: unexpected disconnect.
Feb  2 12:49:35 vex /netbsd: sbc0: parity error!

My system is a IIvx w/8Mb running 1.3 distrib binaries.
When I get the time, I'll get -current source and try it.
If I still get this cdrom problem with current, should I send-pr?
Also should I send-pr for the bootup crash with mouse movement?
Or is posting to this list the right thing to do?

Ben, for which only GENERICSBC56 seems to work perfectly.

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.