Subject: Re: HELP! (Networking)
To: Richard UNGER <runger@cs.mcgill.ca>
From: Xiamin Raahauge <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/1998 15:15:48
On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Richard UNGER wrote:
> Alright, I installed NetBSD (GENERIC #56) 1.3 on my Quadra 700, and am
> now trying to get my networking up and running.
> I have the built in ethernet (sn0) and an Asante MacCon-i NBTP (ae0).
> I want ae0 to be hooked up to my local LAN (a few macs and PCs, all on a
> 8port dumb hub). I want sn0 to connect everything up to the internet via
> my cable-modem.
>
> I have a few problems:
> 1) dhclient 'zaps' my setup for ae0. I have a ifconfig.ae0 file, and
> netstart configures it correctly on boot-up. When I run dhclient from
> netstart.local it always 'zeroes' my config for ae0. The man page for
> dhclient claims if I invoke 'dhclient <if-name>' it will only configure
> the interface specified with dhcp.
Ok, this one I know about. The rest I'm shakey on, although I have an
almost identicle setup.
Here's the gross hack to fix this problem: Add this to the top of
/etc/dhclient-script

#Hack to avoid working with ae0.
if [ $interface = "ae0" ]; then
  exit 0
fi

This makes the script exit if it tires to work with ae0. I know the man
pages says that giving the name will make it only work with that name, but
dhclient has a bug with regards to that. ;)

> 2) If I manually reconfigure the ae0 interface after boot-up to set it
> back to the LAN, I can then ping the local machines, and they can ping
> me. However, ipnat is DREADFULLY slow, like a few bytes per second. My
> ipnat.conf file has the following lines:
> map sn0 192.168.1.0/24 -> 0/32 portmap tcp/udp 40000:60000
> map sn0 192.168.1.0/24 -> 0/32
> Is this right? Why is ipnat so slow? Should I be setting up ipf to do
> some blocking as well?
Hmmm, this I don't know about. Here's my /etc/ipnat.conf:
map sn0 10.0.0.0/8 -> 24.128.90.79/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:20000

I can get very fast transfer rates, so I don't know what's up.

> 3) My ifconfig -a lists the ae0 media type as 'manual'. Is this good? I
> tried setting it to 10BaseT/UTP but it wouldn't let me.
My ae0 is listed as manual too, doesn't seem to hurt anything.