Subject: Re: HELP! (Networking)
To: Richard UNGER <runger@cs.mcgill.ca>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/1998 13:09:25
On Sun, Feb 01, 1998 at 05:27:47PM -0500, Richard UNGER wrote:

> Alright, I installed NetBSD (GENERIC #56) 1.3 on my Quadra 700, and am
> now trying to get my networking up and running.

Hm. My first thought was that you couldn't do IPNAT with GENERIC kernels.
But, that doesn't seem to be the case - my current GENERIC config seems to
support IPNAT.

> 1) dhclient 'zaps' my setup for ae0.

I've never used this, so I don't know what to say, other than that you can
always cheat and configure ae0 from your netstart.local file, after running
dhclient.

> 2) If I manually reconfigure the ae0 interface after boot-up to set it
> back to the LAN, I can then ping the local machines, and they can ping
> me. However, ipnat is DREADFULLY slow,

That's bad. Have you used tcpdump to try to see what's going on? Also, your
ipnat config doesn't look too strange, but you might want to consider using
distinct addresses rather than networks when you specify who should be
masqueraded.

Maybe something like:

address=`ifconfig ppp0 | tail -n 1 | awk '{print $2}'`

would help, if you then used $address/24 or something like that in place of
the 0/32 you're using as a target now? Just a thought.

> 3) My ifconfig -a lists the ae0 media type as 'manual'. Is this good? I
> tried setting it to 10BaseT/UTP but it wouldn't let me.

I think that just means that the card is configured via jumpers. If you're
able to talk to the outside world at all, then it's probably okay.

Um... Oh. One other thing. Do you have a default route set up properly? I
don't know if dhclient does this or not, but setting up a default route that
points out over your cable modem is probably a good idea. (netstat -rn)

Good luck!

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments