Subject: Color X Problems.
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: I-Jong Lin <ijonglin@EE.Princeton.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/1998 02:36:06
Dear All,

   I've been having some problems setting up my Mac IIcx
with Max Hi-Resolution Video card with Color X Windows.
I've followed all the instructions in the very usefull
HOW-TO documents and tried to get Color X via the LKM method
(since I don't think there's a SLOTMAN-HWDIRECT version out
there yet).  Anyway, some problems occurs which I can't quite
figure out.

After configuration, during boot-up, I got some
messages like

<snip>
video_lkm_combined.o:
can't find device file: /dev/lkm

So, I created a /dev/lkm using the MAKEDEV script and tried
again.  During boot-up, the messages were as follows:

<snip>
video_lkm_combined.o: video_lkm_cmd: Operation not permitted

So, I tried compiling the video_lkm_combined.o by myself.  That didn't
work either, and when I tried to test the mod_load command in
a single-user state, I get this message:

modload -o /tmp/video -e video_lkm_cmd video_lkm_combined.o
modload: can't reserve memory: Operation not permitted
*** Error code 9

Stop.

So, I'm working on a Mac IIcx, and I tried using the HWDIRECT kernel
and my own cross-compiled kernel (w/o NFS stuff).  The Mac has 68MB
of RAM, so I doubt it's running out of memory.

Any ideas?

I-Jong Lin