Subject: Re: [Q630] It won't work: core dumps
To: Gwenole Beauchesne <gwenole.beauchesne@iname.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1998 14:26:32
Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:
> Hi, I am new to the list and I have just tried NetBSD 1.3.
>
> My sytem is as follows :
> - Mac Quadra 630 (LC 630 with a full-68040) 36/1700
> - SyJet 1.5 Go.
>
> So I did a full installation. I booted as stated in the INSTALLATION
> file. Then edited the /etc/rc.conf file then exited. BUT... as the boot
> continues, every file (binary, in /usr) that attempts to execute...
> generates awful core dumps.

Hmmmm...did you get any errors while doing the install?

> Why ? How can I get arround this problem ? Did I miss something_? Let me
> also say that my partitions are as follows :
> swap :  70 MB
> root : 100 MB
> home : 780 MB
> usr  : 200 MB
>
> To summarize, when I execute a file in the /usr partition, a core dump
> is created.

Is your /usr partition on the same drive as the rest of your NetBSD
partitions?  Are these all on the SyJet?  If so, that might be your
problem.  There have been some difficulties with removable media
(e.g. occasional disk errors).  If not, then you might have a corrupted
filesystem, or else the install might have corrupted the binaries.  Have
you tried to run 'fsck' on your /usr partition?  You might consider a
reinstall of the base.tgz set; this might fix the problem.  Laying out
your partitions in a different order might help as well (like having your
/usr partition after your root and the /home partition at the end).

Hopefully, some of the above will help.

Later.