Subject: Re: ppp question
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1998 14:19:46
Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > wb2oyc wrote:
> >
> > >      Make sure there is no defaultroute before making the PPP connect.
> > > The script will attempt to set the PPP link and make it the default.
> >
> > Ok, I'll look into it.
>
> That's not it. You do need to not have a default route around, but the
> default route won't make chat die w/ a SIGTERM. My i386 usually has a
> defaultroute pointing at my IIsi, so when I fire up ppp, the default route
> doesn't get set right.
>
> The "local" business was a problem when the most-recent version of PPP was
> merged in. It was fixed for 1.3.

Actually, the solution seemed to have been to change the line in
/etc/ppp/ppp-connect from:

stty clocal

to:

stty /dev/tty01 clocal

With the previous one, it didn't seem to be setting clocal on the proper
tty, so chat would never interact with the modem.

> > > There can be only one.
>
> No, that should have been, "There should only have been one," refering to
> the quality of Highlander II. :-)

Oh, I don't know, the 3rd one wasn't all that bad, certainly not much
cheesier than the first ;-)

Later.