Subject: Re: su prob
To: Brian Carroll <carroll@ultdev.chess.cornell.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1998 14:38:07
Hi,

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Brian Carroll wrote:

> Another problem, well more of an annoyance, if that when using X windows
> regular system messages come up fine in the console window but error
> messages from xserver come up at the bottom of the screen, messing things
> up.  How do I set thins up so thoughs messages also are sent to the
> console window?

Here is what I do.

* Open up an xterm.
* su to root (you will get an annoying message)
* Refresh the screen (I use Refresh Screen under Window Ops in fvwm)
* As root, type 'xconsole &'

>From now on, all console message go to the xconsole window.

Another way to do it is o play with /etc/syslog.conf and try redirecting
console messages to a file.

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/