Subject: Re: Problems mounting drive
To: J. Benedict <raoul@olympus.net>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1998 22:21:34
> >> I rebooted.  It halted and went to single user again.  Here's what it said:
> >>
> >> Automatic boot in progress: starting system file checks.
> >> /dev/rsd1a: file system is clean; not checking
> >> sd0(ncrscsi0:0:0): error code 0
> >> sd0(ncrscsi0:0:0): error code 0
> >> Can't open /dev/rsd0g: Input/output error
> >> CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
> >> /dev/rsd0g: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTANCY; run fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
> >> THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTANCY:
> >>        ffs: /dev/rsd0g (/archive)
> >> Automatic file system check failed; help!
> >> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
> >>
> >> Again, I can mount the partition from the mini-shell and I can run fsck on
> >> the partition and it is marked clean.  When I try to boot multi-user, I get
> >> the message above and it goes to single user.
> >
> >what does a "disklabel sd0" as root give you?
> >

> Still in single user, disklabel sd0 gives:
>
> #/dev/rsd0c:
> type: SCSI
> disk: SCSI disk
> label: fictitious
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 46
> cylinders: 1792
> total sectors: 167301
> rpm: 3600
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0          # milliseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0 # milliseconds
> drivedata: 0
>
> 7 partitions:
> #         size      offset         fstype    [fsize  bsize      cpg]
>
>   a:         2      167299           unknown              #(Cyl.  1818* - 1818*)
>   c:     167301          0           unused     0  0  0   #(Cyl.      0 - 1818*)
>   g:     167155        144           4.2 BSD    0  0  0   #(Cyl.      1*- 1818*)
> disklabel: boot block size 0
> disklabel: super block size 0

never seen my 4.2 BSD on 'g' partition. what formatter did you use and
what kind of drive is it? maybe fsck doesn't like 'g' for some reason.

what's that 2-block 'a' partition anyway?! it might be some entrails of a
lazy formatting program. <shrug>

mind pasting /etc/fstab to the list as well?

later,

  - a