Subject: Re: su prob
To: Brian Carroll <carroll@ultdev.chess.cornell.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1998 18:38:49
Brian Carroll wrote:

> I'm having problems giving my account su privileges.  When I installed 1.3
> on a different harddrive I had no problems, just added my login name to
> the wheel group.  But I just installed 1.3 on a different hard drive and
> even though I have my login name to the wheel group, I get a "sorry" when
> I try to su.

Make sure that there are no spaces around the _comma-separated_ list of
usernames in the wheel entry in the /etc/group file.  Also, consider
making your default gid 0 (i.e. wheel) in /etc/master.passwd.

> Another problem, well more of an annoyance, if that when using X windows
> regular system messages come up fine in the console window but error
> messages from xserver come up at the bottom of the screen, messing things
> up.  How do I set thins up so thoughs messages also are sent to the
> console window?

You might be able to run xconsole and have all error messages redirected
there.  A simple "xrefresh" will clean up the screen, tho.  How often do
you get error messages from the server itself?  I don't believe I've ever
seen any that I can remember...

Later.