Subject: Daystar Accelerator Works!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1998 18:13:45
This is good news for Iivx owners:

A friend of mine leant me some equipment for NetBSD testing (a IIci and
some other stuff). Amongst these items was a Daystar 040 Accelerator card,
the universal kind that works in most of the II series machines.

So I installed NetBSD on the IIci and tried to see if it would boot with the
040 card. It got surprisingly far but got caught in a "no slot interrupt"
for slot C which had a video card in it. So I tried booting with internal
video and that just messed up the screen on boot (Apparently this is
a memory mapping issue).

Then I moved the card to my IIvx. Lo and behold the card worked with the
stock 1.3 Distribution! My cpudelay went from 80 to 240! This was without
the Daystar extension installed. I then installed the extension and booted
with full 040 caching on and the cpudelay went to 425!

It's working great right now. I figure the video card may have been a problem
in the IIci because it was unsupported (no interrupt clearing routine) but
my IIvx's SuperMac video card is also unsupported and it works OK.
I'll have to try swapping card.

I tried two different ae type ethernet cards and both work quite speedily.
However, I haven't tried any serial tests and I wonder if there will be
any weird impact. ADB seems to work OK (At least MRG. I'll compile a
-current kernel soon).

This is very exciting! I can actually build kernels within the span of a
human lifetime now :) (The 16 megs of RAM also helped :-)