Subject: Re: Serial terminal
To: None <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1998 23:42:17
Bill wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Xiamin Raahauge wrote:
>
> > I recently got a DataGeneral terminal (I have no clue about a model
> > number, but it seems to be a vt100 type deal, or at least that's what the
> > status line says). I'm interested in using it with my Q650, especially
> > since I'm without a monitor for a little while, but I can't for the life
> > of me get it to work.

I used my Data General for over a year on my IIsi while the internal video
was being sorted out. Worked like a charm.

> > It's hooked up to tty00 with a Mac->PC modem cable (I'm not sure if
>
> That's problem 1. You need a null modem. Both that cable and the terminal
> are designed to hook to a modem.
>
> The terminal probably also has a DB-25 for connecting to a local printer.
> It won't help to plug the Mac into that. :-(
>
> > that's the right name, but it has the right number of pins, 25). I can't
> > figure out how to run getty on it, I tried running it from the command
> > line (in a telnet session) with
> > /usr/libexec/getty tty00
> > but that only started up login on my telnet session. ;)
> > I tried (for the fun of it) to cat stuff to /dev/tty00, but nothing showed
> > up on the terminal.
>
> Just turn the line in /etc/ttys "on" for that port.
>
> Also, try running versaterm or something like that just to make sure
> you're connected right.

Good advice... it helped me get mine running.

Also, if your Data General terminal is anything like mine, it can be
configured through a menu. From memory, the menu can be brought up
by holding down control, shift or another modifier, and hitting the
key that has an 'N' over a 'C' (up above the numeric keypad??).
Sorry I'm so vague, but it is a little too far away at the moment.
If you want me to check it, I'll be able to on Tuesday...

Cheers,
Paul Ripke
BHP Information Technology
OpenVMS & UNIX (AIX, DG/UX, SCO, IRIX, Digital, SunOS...) Sysadmin
Computer Centre, Five Islands Rd, Port Kembla, NSW 2505, AUSTRALIA
stixpjr@ozemail.com.au  weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au   pjr02@uow.edu.au
      Anyone wishing to lay claim to the opinions expressed
                herein, do so at their own risk.