Subject: Serial terminal
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Xiamin Raahauge <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/29/1998 15:59:59
I recently got a DataGeneral terminal (I have no clue about a model
number, but it seems to be a vt100 type deal, or at least that's what the
status line says). I'm interested in using it with my Q650, especially
since I'm without a monitor for a little while, but I can't for the life
of me get it to work.
It's hooked up to tty00 with a Mac->PC modem cable (I'm not sure if
that's the right name, but it has the right number of pins, 25). I can't
figure out how to run getty on it, I tried running it from the command
line (in a telnet session) with
/usr/libexec/getty tty00
but that only started up login on my telnet session. ;)
I tried (for the fun of it) to cat stuff to /dev/tty00, but nothing showed
up on the terminal.
Here's what I get when I switch it on on:
(Two beeps)
(Top line)
D216+ (03) Self Test OK
^ This character is reverse video.

(Status line (bottom))
(All reverse video)
VT100 Host Port Online Normal R=01 C=001 12:28PM

And it just stays that way. Typing on the keyboard does nothing, except
that the display blanks eventually and hitting a key brings it back.
I'm hoping I can use this terminal, and if I can't, I might be able to
grab a WYSE but I'd rather not since I only have a bicycle and that would
be hard to carry in my backpack.
-Xiamin