Subject: Re: nubie, hello and questions
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/1998 19:06:14
On Jan 28, 10:00am, "Colin Wood" wrote:
>Benoit MARTEL wrote:
>> Could you give some details or a pointer to this info about netscape
>> releasing source code?
>I really don't know a whole hell of a lot about it.  They made this
>announcement last week:
>http://home.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease558.html

Here's a list of URLs I've collected about it:

http://biz.yahoo.com/finance/980122/netscape_n_1.html
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/980122/ca_netscap_3.html
http://home.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease558.html
http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/9813.html
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_1691.html
http://customnews.cnn.com/cnews/pna.show_story?p_art_id=2255694&p_section_name=Sci-Tech

>> Exactly what source code is being released to whom under which conditions?
>> I'm just dying of curiosity here!!
>It appears that the source code for Netscape Communicator 5.0 will be
>released sometime after the product itself is.  As for the conditions, I
>believe they describe it as "in the tradition of the GPL", or something
>like that.

What I've read (postings from Netscape dudes) is that the source is
supposed to be released about the same time as the first beta of 5.0,
around the end of March.  It'll be the full source, minus licensed
products and the prorietary (to the licensor) interfaces to those products.

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.