Subject: Re: What is Motif
To: Avatar <bshayn1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/1998 17:56:50
Avatar wrote:

> 	For an unexperienced BSD'er what IS Motif?

It's an X11 widget library, more or less.  Basically, it's a set of C
routines which together implement a certain "look and feel" for an X11
interface.  This particular "look and feel" is the one that Netscape uses.
There are other libraries/widget sets such as the basic Athena widget set
that the twm window manager uses and things like the aXe editor and xrn
also use.  There is probably an OpenLook library as well (i.e. Sun's
proprietary interface).

Motif is a commercial product, and you have to buy a license to use it.
There is a freeware version called Lesstif, but it's not quite up to snuff
yet.

Does that answer it?  BTW, if I'm inaccurate on any of the above, please
let me know.

Later.