Subject: Re: Got 630 Video!
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/1998 11:28:55
On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, SamMaEl wrote:

> 	I've had some SERIOUS problems in the past few days with my NetBSD
> system, and its gotten to the point where I think I am just going to
> backup some critical files and config stuff and just reinstall everything.
> My LATEST rash of misfortune came when I tried to compile a kernel for my
> Q630 to test a patch Michael Zucca made for me of grf_iv.c (hopefully a
> fix for the Valkyrie internal video!! *cheer*) I did a make depend && make
> all in /sys/arch/mac68k/compile/BRAHMS before I went to work (after a make
> clean of course, since it was a new sys tarball I was compiling from, plus
> the grf_iv.c patch) and it died a couple times over ;-) I don't remember
> the errors specifically, but they were not errors you would get normally I
> am sure. And, alot of missing include files, etc. I tried reinstalling the
> comp.tgz set and still got the errors. I've also tried reinstalling the
> sys tarball and STILL got the errors...
>
> 	So, could someone out there please compile me a GENERIC kernel
> from -current sources, including this patch? (I've included it. Patch
> seemed to like it ok against the -current as of this weekend grf_iv.c. Or,
> you could always patch it by hand... it's only a few lines of code.)

As Colin mentioned, you can't build a -current kernel on a stock 1.3
system. The change which bumped the kernel from 1.3A to 1.3B requires a
new config binary. Just ftp to ftp.netbsd.org, and get the latest config
source, compile it, install it, and re-config your kernel. You'll be fine.
Or, if you're staying at 1.3, just get the 1.3 kernel source.

Also, none of the system include files are used in compiling a kernel. You
didn't need to get the comp.tgz package again. The kernel make files are
designed to use the include files that come with the kernel source (so you
can compile a kernel before updating all your userland). The only time you
need a new comp.tgz when following -current for just the kernel, is when
we make a change to gcc or the Makefiles to handle new kernel source
features.

If you want to track the -current kernel, use sup to get the source. It
will give you the kernel source, and it will give you up-to-date config
source! That way all you have to do is sup, maybe re-compile config &
install, re-config your kernel, re-compile, and you're set!

Take care,

Bill