Subject: Re: nubie, hello and questions
To: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/1998 10:00:49
Benoit MARTEL wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > not really.  the "motif problem" will probably be worked around once the
> > source code to netscape has been released, but that's a few months away
> > at the moment.
>
> Could you give some details or a pointer to this info about netscape
> releasing source code?

I really don't know a whole hell of a lot about it.  They made this
announcement last week:

http://home.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease558.html

> Exactly what source code is being released to whom under which conditions?
> I'm just dying of curiosity here!!

It appears that the source code for Netscape Communicator 5.0 will be
released sometime after the product itself is.  As for the conditions, I
believe they describe it as "in the tradition of the GPL", or something
like that.

> Thanks!
>
> PS: I wonder how netscape would run on a Quadra... Or if there could be a
> netscape-lite.

Probably about as well as it does under MacOS.  Hopefully, people will
find a way to cut out the fluff (like Collabra and the news and mail
stuff).