Subject: Re: Got 630 Video!
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/1998 12:48:41
> > 	Lastly, I found a guy who is going to sell me his Q900 for pretty
> > cheap... what is the current state on this machine? (I'm having trouble
> > with Netscape, and my lynx on my NetBSD is also suffering from my
> > file-system woes, or I would look it up on the machine-status page myself
> > ;-))
>
> It's still fairly non-functional at the moment, I believe.  Both of the
> Q900 and Q950 use the IOP's for ADB and serial port functionality.  While
> the serial ports might work, the ADB definitely doesn't.  In addition,
> there might be some issues with the dual SCSI bus on these machines.  I
> suppose you might be able to get a headless net-booting machine out of it,
> but it wouldn't probably be very useful right now.

Actually, Allen's been trying to squeeze some info out of Apple about the
IOPs and barring that I suppose we could sit down and starting looking at
code in MacsBug.

FYI, the IOPs are actually 6502's linked to their respective devices.
They handle interrupts and buffering, interrupting the CPU only when
necessary. They have something like 32k of RAM which is mapped into
devices space somewhere. So it's sort of nothing like DMA ;-)
Just wondering if who ever codes the IOP stuff is going to have to
crack open an old book on 6502 assembly <bleck!>

The dual SCSI bus thing shouldn't be too bad. I believe the base address of
both busses is well known. Just attach the esp driver in two places
(or is that the problem?) Doesn't the Quadra 700 have two SCSI busses?

So, you're right, the 9xx's don't work but at least people are looking
into the matter.