Subject: Re: 1.3 net errors - sn0:receive buffers exhausted
To: Andrew Diller <dillera@dolphin.upenn.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/27/1998 06:17:45
Hi,

One more thing to check. Do you have routed running? If so, kill it
immediately and make sure it is set *not* to run in /etc/rc.conf.  I think
it has been fixed already, but I know there was a problem with running
routed and causing the "sn0:receive buffers exhausted" message on my C650.

Mark

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Andrew Diller wrote:

> Date: Monday, January 26, 1998 12:37 PM
> Subject: Re: 1.3 net errors - sn0:receive buffers exhausted
>

> >Andrew Diller wrote:
> >>

> >> Now I am getting some ethernet overflows that I never had with the SE/30
> and
> >> an asante card.
> >>
> >> sn0: receive buffers exhausted
> >>
> >> MacBSD is using the built-in ethernet on the Centris, of course.
> >>

> >Are you on a very busy ethernet?  That's usually the cause of these types
> >of errors, I believe.  Anyway, I believe that these buffers are actually
> >in hardware on the card, and if they are filling up, it basically should
> >mean that NetBSD isn't servicing the card often enough (i.e. it is
> >spending too much time at some higher interrupt level).  Are you doing a
> >lot of hard disk activity?
> >
> >Allen would probably know more about this one, tho.
> >

> Yes and Yes. It is a fairly large collision-domain, since the school refuses
> to get any ethernet switches.  There is also probally a lot of HD activity,
> because the main purpose for the machine is a web site (apache & cgiwrap)
> with lots of perl scripts.
>
> If they are hardware, then I guess there isn't much I can do about it.
>
> Still, the difference between an SE/30 w/ 32megs, and a Centris 650 w/ 32
> megs -- same hardrive with 1.3a -- is amazing.
>
> Its like night and day with these perlscripts!!!!
>
> thanks,
>
> Andy Diller

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!