Subject: Re: Misc HWDIRECT fixes
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Marc Coevoet <marc.coevoet@skynet.be>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/1998 22:05:27
>> > How similar are the video architectures of the Color Classic II and the
>> > Classic II?  Does this mean that internal video support for the
>>Classic II
>> > is closer?
>>
>> Michael Zucca may know more about this one, but I'm not too sure that they
>> are all that similar.  It generally takes a lot more to do color video
>> than it does to do B&W.  I could easily be wrong about this, tho.  Have
>> you tried a recent kernel with this machine?
>
>The Classic II's B&W frame buffer should be supported right now. This is
>another case of "need the intvidtest0.x" patches like the PowerBooks.
>
>To get a working kernel you take kernel source and hand-diff in my
>intvidtest 0.x patches. You can find the intvidtest 0.x patches in:
>ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/bjorn/
>there should be a directory in there for intvidtest and you should find
>the patches somewhere in that directory hierarchy.
>
>Those patches enabled B&W video on the Classic II and a whole slew of
>PowerBooks. The trouble is, while I thought I sent them in (this is back
>in the 1.2B days), they somehow never made it into the kernel proper.
>So you have to hand-diff them in.
>
>The problem was brought up a few months back but Scott wants to fix the
>problem in a proper fasion and considering how we're chaning video drivers
>this sort of stuff is probably going to get cleaned up anyway.
>
>On a side note, color video for the Color Classics should fall in line
>with the Brazil driver I wrote for my IIvx. They aught to work great
>when I release intvidtest2.

My 2 pennies.

I have a colour classic @ 16 Mhz.  I run B/W X since a month now.  I tried
8-bit color(or be it grayscale, cause that's what interests me) and got
some kind of *invisable pink* on my display.  I remember some post about
this, but do not remember what to do.  Do I need lkm and which bins/tgz's/.o's?
BTW, I did not apply intvideo patches on the HWDIRECT kernel.

Apple's naming schedule might be confusing: a Classic is 68000@8mhz(no netbsd),
a Classic II 68030@16, a Colour Classic 68030@16, a Colour Classic II 68030@32.

In fact, I seem to be the _only one_ owning a Colour Classic
(ohtani@jafco.co.jp
having a Colour Classic II).  If somebody wants to test something to be able
to add this machine for its HW, just mail me, I'll do the test, wanna be
*responsible* for this hw, user-survey-wise (oh, my shoulders).

PS: I'll move from ISP/email in a week or so.
marc.coevoet@skynet.be should become marc.coevoet@village.uunet.be
Marc Coevoet, Kerkveldstraat 71, B-1650 Beersel, Belgium being incredible
stable though...