Subject: Re: straaaaange
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/1998 11:50:22
On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> SamMaEl wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
> >

> > 	No.... master.passwd and passwd look fine. Though, I did not wipe
> > them on my upgrade... I copied the 'originals' over the ones that etc.tgz
> > copied over them.
>
> You might need to remove spwd.db? and pwd.db and redo a passwd_mkdb (I
> think that's the command, perhaps it's pwd_mkdb), or just edit
> /etc/master.passwd with vipw and it'll regenerate the databases.  It
> sounds like your passwd database files have been corrupted.

	Unfortunately, I wish it were only that easy 8-( I tried
reinstalling the base passwd files (from etc.tgz) without my own accounts,
and I got the same database errors, before and after deleting the .db
files and running pwd_mkdb. I remembered something about that, so I read
through the search engine of the archives, and I saw someone having a
problem with pwd.db... but rebuilding them isn't helping.

> > 	Now, I just got another error I've never seen, this time from
> > identd.	It gave this error:
> >
> > identd[511]: /etc/pwd.db" Permission denied
> > identd[511]: getpwuid() could not map uid (0) to name
>
> Perhaps the permissions are wrong as well?  I'd definitely try to recreate
> the passwd database files.

	pwd.db is -rw-r--r-- root wheel and spwd.db is -r--r--r-- root
wheel. Actually, I'm having problems with ALL of the database files....
there was a problem with the aliases.db file as well. Perhaps it could be
something with the initialization of the databases at bootup? I have no
clue... running out of ideas ;-)

> > 	I logged into a chat program that I run, which runs an ident
> > client I wrote. And, it does an ident lookup... which normally does not
> > give this error ;-)
> >
> > 	Another bizarre error I got, was when I rebooted the system after
> > the upgrade....
> >
> > Jan 26 09:36:15 hobbes root: WARNING: $xfs is not set properly.
> > Jan 26 09:36:18 hobbes root: WARNING: $xdm is not set properly.
> >
> > 	I'm not RUNNING XDM, or XFS, and I actually didn't upgrade my /etc
> > until after I upgraded everything and rebooted, so I don't know what
> > caused THOSE errors...
>
> This sounds like your /etc/rc and /etc/rc.conf are out of sync or
> something like that.  Take a look at the end of /etc/rc.conf and see if
> xdm and xfs are set...I believe that they were added between NetBSD
> 1.3_ALPHA and 1.3_RELEASE, although I can't be sure.

	Yeah.... the first time, I ran with my old /etc directory. But, I
was getting these database errors before that (so I don't think the new
database initializing binaries could have caused any problems... unless it
didn't like the older .db files)

> > 	P.S. Does anyone know what changes have been made to grf_iv.c?
> > Michael Zucca sent me a patch to hopefully get my q630 machine's internal
> > video going properly, but when I patched it (with patch) I got some
> > errors... should I just go ahead and download the newest one, or will that
> > cause more problems? The sources I have are... hmmm... the newest file in
> > /sys/arch/mac68k/dev is from Dec 1st, and the grf_iv.c gives a date of Nov
> > 10. Should I just download the newest one? Michael?
>
> If you're going to be running 1.3, you will need kernel sources that match
> it, so _please_ download the 1.3 kernel sources if you're going to roll
> your own kernel for a 1.3 system.  I assume that Michael's patch will
> apply cleanly to it.  BTW, if this is just the sense code thing that
> Michael mentioned, a copy of the patch is in the FAQ on puma (and
> www.netbsd.org later today).

	Just trying to save myself a 11+ MB download (I might as well just
download the whole archive... I'll be at work anyways ;-))

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!