Subject: Re: straaaaange
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/1998 09:37:59
SamMaEl wrote:

> 	Hey folks, I have an unusual problem. Well, things have been
> chugging along normally for me, but tonight I was planning on finally
> upgrading from 1.3_BETA to 1.3. I already had the files downloaded and I
> was all set to go. Well, tonight I rebooted the system after it had been
> up for about 2 weeks, and things were just fine. Then... I downloaded MI/X
> and was playing around with that on one of my MacOS machines, with the
> NetBSD machine supplying the xterms and the window manager. THAT went
> fine.

good.

> 	Well, I wanted to be able to use my .twmrc file for when my other
> users ran xterms and stuff on the MacOS machine, so I copied my
> /root/.xinitrc file to /home/sammael the home directory for my user
> account. I also copied it to /etc/skel so when I created new users, they
> would automatically have the files for use. The ONLY other thing I did was
> I copied my binary sets over to my root partition. (they were sitting on
> another partition, to save disk space on my root)

you didn't extract any of these files?  how much room do you have left on
your root partition?  it wouldn't happen to be full would it?

> 	Then, I started getting a message on the console from sendmail
> complaining about a bad aliases database. I tried to run newaliases, but
> it complained that it didn't have permission to open the sendmail.cf file.
> And then, my normal users could not login properly, because their csh
> would not exec their .cshrc files properly on login. Also, the
> uid/loginname mapping was screwed up too. (files showed up as
> sammael:sammael when root did an ls -l, but when sammael did it, I got
> 1000:1000) I also could not enter my home directory at all.... sammael was
> stuck in / and any other file systems that were readable by anyone.

my only guess on this one right now is that you have somehow managed to
competely fill up your root partition when you copied the new distribution
sets onto it, and now a number of file accesses have truncated or
completely blow away several rather important files in /etc.  Check the
contents of things like /etc/master.passwd and make sure the spwd.db? file
isn't truncated as well.

> 	Has anyone else seen something like this happen? Right now I'm
> doing the 1.3 upgrade, hoping this will fix it. I'm in the habit of using
> su now, so having to log in as root all the time would/will be a pain. Not
> to mention it could screw up my file permission scheme. (I have alot of
> different files I have owned by different users, even though I'm the only
> one that uses the system, generally... just a habit ;-))

a 1.3 upgrade might fix most of the problems, but if your root partition
is really full then untarring over everything may leave you with a bunch
of truncated files....quite messy!

> 	Btw... I've kind of lost track of -current lately... what are we
> up to now, 1.3B?

Yes...the addition of a working (well, except on the vax) vfork()
implementation and a change in some config semantics bumped us up to 1.3B
the day before SUP switched back to tracking -current (I know there were
other changes, but you'd have to take a look at the CHANGES doc for more
details).

I hope this helps.

Later.