Subject: Re: Misc HWDIRECT fixes
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@alum.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/25/1998 22:00:13
>> One another note, someone recently mentioned that their machine hangs
>> during ADBReInit if they are moving the mouse. I am pretty sure that
>> this does not happen with the HWDIRECT code on the IIsi and Cuda ADB
>> hardware, and was able to test it directly yesterday on the new II code
>> and it boots even if I bang on the keyboard and am moving the mouse. So
>> if you notice this boot time problem, please send me some details.
>
>I never thought of moving the mouse (or using the keyboard) during
>boot, but yes, when I boot the 1.3 release GENERIC kernel while moving
>the mouse or typing on the keyboard, the kernel hangs during
>ADBReInit.  After applying your patch, alas, the kernel still hangs if
>I move the mouse or type on the keyboard.  This is with a IIcx,
>extended keyboard (3rd party), Apple ADB mouse.

I've never tried during boot, but moving the mouse _always_ causes
the X server to core dump if the mouse is moved while the X server
is starting up (which means xdm in dangerous withoug a way to remote
log in and kill and restart xdm if X dies).

I don't know if this info is at all useful because I am using MRG
because it has been suggested to me (by Paul G.) that HWDIRECT and
SLOTMAN don't like each other right now (well, a few weeks ago).
Since I haven't really had other problems, my solutions has just
been "dont' do that."

This is on a IIci.

Dan