Subject: Re: Misc HWDIRECT fixes
To: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
From: John Valdes <valdes@macavity.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/25/1998 20:46:56
John P. Wittkoski writes:

> So based on comments from many of you, I've worked out a few problems
> with the HWDIRECT code.

I've tried your fixes on a IIcx, installing the patches against the
NetBSD 1.3 release kernel sources.

> 2. Keyboard didn't work in the debugger. It does now.

Yes, it works now!

> 3. Certain 3 button mice didn't work on models that use the II ADB
> hardware.

I don't have a 3 button mouse, so I couldn't verify this the fix.

> One another note, someone recently mentioned that their machine hangs
> during ADBReInit if they are moving the mouse. I am pretty sure that
> this does not happen with the HWDIRECT code on the IIsi and Cuda ADB
> hardware, and was able to test it directly yesterday on the new II code
> and it boots even if I bang on the keyboard and am moving the mouse. So
> if you notice this boot time problem, please send me some details.

I never thought of moving the mouse (or using the keyboard) during
boot, but yes, when I boot the 1.3 release GENERIC kernel while moving
the mouse or typing on the keyboard, the kernel hangs during
ADBReInit.  After applying your patch, alas, the kernel still hangs if
I move the mouse or type on the keyboard.  This is with a IIcx,
extended keyboard (3rd party), Apple ADB mouse.

FYI.

John

John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
j-valdes@uchicago.edu                               University of Chicago