Subject: Re: serial console/boot echo
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/25/1998 13:34:16
On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> Hi, i have a IIcx i'm trying to set up serial console with. so far, i have
> not had any luck. I have the serial console option checked it the booter,
> with the printer port selected. i X-ed in the box in the table that said
> printer as well.  I attached a regular printer cable from my IIcx's
> serial port to my powermac's printer port and ran zterm on my
> powermac (on the printer port), with 9600 as the terminal speed (also the
> same speed in the booter) and nothing came up on the zterm screen during
> boot.

What do you mean,  you "X-ed in the box in the table that said printer as
well"??

First off, try zterm on both sides (i.e. under MacOS) to make sure the
hardware's ok. Then try booting w/ just serial echo. If that works, then
try serial console. Don't forget to also set tty01 to "on" and add the
local flag.

> what is all the new stuff in the serial window do? i remember the older
> one being much simpler.

The new driver is designed to handle external clock sources. Unfortunatly
some last-minute changes in the M.I. driver broke this support.

Take care,

Bill