Subject: Re: Q610 crash problems
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1998 11:28:22
Mark Andres wrote:

> Try using the GENERICSBC kernel instead. If you are usiang any removeable
> media like JAZ, ZIP, Sysquest, MO, etc. drives, you are usually much
> better off with an SBC kernel. When I tried to use my MO drive under
> NetBSD, I got the same crash you got with a GENERIC kernel. Using the SBC
> kernel does the trick.
>
> On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Capt. Avram Dorfman wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to run NetBSD 1.3 on a Quadra 610, off of a Jaz drive. It
> > boots up fine (usually), and runs for a little while, but it always
> > eventually crasshes into the debugger w/ a message like
> >
> > 	vm fault
> > 	trap: type 0x8
> > 	kernel: MMU fault trap
> > 	stopped @ _debug +0x6 unlk 96

He's using a Quadra 610, which has an ncr53c96 SCSI controller chip, so
useing an SBC kernel won't make a bit of difference.  I think that Allen
is aware of a problem with removable media and the esp driver and is
working on a fix for it (although I don't know if the above error is a
result of this problem).

Later.