Subject: Re: Ethernet...
To: Kevin Ogden <kev@zebradale.com>
From: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1998 11:07:49
At 02:07 AM 1/24/98 -0800, you wrote:

>>TCI/@home serves my neighborhood; there's a guy who works for them that
>>posts to comp.dcom.modems.cable, and he says:
>>  TCI uses a 10Mbit/sec bidirectional modem
>>  They have 30Mbit/sec feed to the concentrator
>>  They have their own high-speed international backbone
>>  They have not yet been suffering congestion
>>
>>I'm seriously considering hopping on the bandwagon. :)
>>

>Ok, I'm impressed...  Considering a T-1 is only 1.5 megabit....  $40/month
>for above T3 speeds is not bad at all....  I wish I didn't live out in the
>middle of nowhere so I can get a cable modem :(  You can run an ISP with
>that kinda bandwidth....

T-3 speeds?  Last I checked, a T-3 was 45 megabit a second.  T-1 is 1.5
megabit and plain ol' ethernet is 10 megabit.

Still, $40 a month is quite good for 10 megabit a second access.  I'm
paying $40 a month for a 500 kilobit a second two way cable modem and I'm
quite happy and satisfied with it.  As always though, YMMV.

Rodney Hopkins
rhopkins@sunflower.com