Subject: Re: Q610 crash problems
To: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1998 13:34:57
Hi,

Try using the GENERICSBC kernel instead. If you are usiang any removeable
media like JAZ, ZIP, Sysquest, MO, etc. drives, you are usually much
better off with an SBC kernel. When I tried to use my MO drive under
NetBSD, I got the same crash you got with a GENERIC kernel. Using the SBC
kernel does the trick.

Mark

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Capt. Avram Dorfman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run NetBSD 1.3 on a Quadra 610, off of a Jaz drive. It
> boots up fine (usually), and runs for a little while, but it always
> eventually crasshes into the debugger w/ a message like
>
> 	vm fault
> 	trap: type 0x8
> 	kernel: MMU fault trap
> 	stopped @ _debug +0x6 unlk 96
>
> (this is just the stuff that looks interesting - there's a lot of hex too).
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas? I'm running the stock
> GENERIC 1.3 kernel.
>
> -Capt Avram Dorfman
> Chief, Network Operations
> email: dorfman@pentagon.mil