Subject: Re: Ethernet...
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1998 00:24:08
On the page I looked at (http://www.twcol.com, under the Road Runner
thing), it mentioned under system requirements I'd need a 68040 or higher,
disk drive, and it'd only work with Mac OS. Is this true? Or what?

What kinda software would a cable modem use, on this end? Are those
requirements only for the software they give me (e.g. netscape) or do they
actually have to give me a special program just to connect?

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't use normal ppp software. Does it? This is the
main question I'm asking here. Do I have the software necessary to utilize
a cble modem in the NetBSD 1.3 package?

Thanks :)

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Space Case wrote:

> On Jan 24, 12:11am, Josh Hope wrote:
> >On a side note: How is $40 a month for cable modem service? Is that high?
> >Normal? Low? Inbetween?
>
> That's what TCI charges where I am (yeah, I'm looking into it, too).
> I belive it's on the low-mid end of the spectrum.
>
> ~Steve
>
> --
> Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/
>
> Faith is the quality that enables you to eat blackberry jam on a picnic
> without looking to see whether the seeds move.
>
> Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly.
> It just happens to be selective about who it makes friends with.
> 	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>
>
> There's an old proverb that says just about whatever you want it to.

Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
'In bliss you abide and happiness,      |         Pearl, Author Unknown
And I with woe am worn and grey;        | Translation by J.R.R. Tolkien
Oft searing sorrows I possess,          |          Stanza 33, lines 1-4
Yet little heed to that you pay.'       |