Subject: Re: Ethernet...
To: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1998 00:39:32
> I have a question. I'm looking into getting a cable modem, and they
> require an Ethernet card...

cool! i wish my town supported cable modems. mediaone is far more advanced
than cablevision/optimum-online.

> I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good NuBus Ethernet card for
> the Performa 600...

I use Asante MacCom, which is great. i also have a 3*com card. I, however,
do suggest that you look for a used nubus card from www.ebay.com or some
wantads.  buying a new nubus ethernet card can cost upwards of $100, and
maybe even more, where you could get one in the $15-20 range buying it
used. remember that nubus is now "old" technology, and the lack of
mass-production of these items increases cost to make them.

> The cable company is recommending 3-Com cards on PC's.

I managed to get a free 3com ethernet card, and it works fine under
NetBSD. (8390/83902 controller)

> On a side note: How is $40 a month for cable modem service? Is that high?
> Normal? Low? Inbetween?

considering i pay $30/mo for a phone line and $30/mo for internet access,
$40 for everything at a much higher speed is certainly a better buy than
slow 28.8 at $60/mo. from what i've been hearing about cable modems,
though, increased usage by everybody on your subnet (your neighborhood,
maybe), the lag is annoying. the bandwidth is significantly faster than a
phone-line modem, though. cable modems are not as laggy as satellite
connections, however :)

for cable modem service in general, i think $40 is pretty good. i've been
hearing anything from about $35/mo to $65/mo.

later,

  - a