Subject: Re: Misc HWDIRECT fixes
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1998 21:04:34
> > How similar are the video architectures of the Color Classic II and the
> > Classic II?  Does this mean that internal video support for the Classic II
> > is closer?
>
> Michael Zucca may know more about this one, but I'm not too sure that they
> are all that similar.  It generally takes a lot more to do color video
> than it does to do B&W.  I could easily be wrong about this, tho.  Have
> you tried a recent kernel with this machine?

The Classic II's B&W frame buffer should be supported right now. This is
another case of "need the intvidtest0.x" patches like the PowerBooks.

To get a working kernel you take kernel source and hand-diff in my
intvidtest 0.x patches. You can find the intvidtest 0.x patches in:
ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/bjorn/
there should be a directory in there for intvidtest and you should find
the patches somewhere in that directory hierarchy.

Those patches enabled B&W video on the Classic II and a whole slew of
PowerBooks. The trouble is, while I thought I sent them in (this is back
in the 1.2B days), they somehow never made it into the kernel proper.
So you have to hand-diff them in.

The problem was brought up a few months back but Scott wants to fix the
problem in a proper fasion and considering how we're chaning video drivers
this sort of stuff is probably going to get cleaned up anyway.

On a side note, color video for the Color Classics should fall in line
with the Brazil driver I wrote for my IIvx. They aught to work great
when I release intvidtest2.