Subject: Re: packages
To: Brian Carroll <carroll@ultdev.chess.cornell.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1998 13:38:12
Brian Carroll wrote:

> Is the procedure for installing a binary package to download the paclage
> to the "/" directory then "pkg_add packagename.tgz"?  I haven't try this
> yet because I rather ask first than have to clean up a bad installation.
> I could find anything in the FAQ about this.

The Info-Sheet section on supported software will actually probably be
replaced by this, and I'll probably add a Q&A on it this weekend.
However, from what I've read so far (I haven't tried it yet), what you
need to do is download the pkgsrc distribution (there should probably be a
tarball with it somewhere on ftp.netbsd.org) and install distribution set
(it should unarchive at /usr/pkg, I believe).  Then, all you need to do is
cd to the directory of the package you want and type "make" if you're
connected to the net.  If not, you'll need to download the src for the
package and install it in the appropriate directory in the /usr/pkg
hierarchy.

There should be a set of instructions on the package system available on
www.netbsd.org.

I hope this helps some.

Later.