Subject: Re: xntpd
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1998 16:08:37
> At 5:13 PM -0800 1/22/98, Amitai Schlair wrote:
> >I read that 1.3 integrates NTP into the system. I'd like to run xntpd,
> >but I just can't find tickadj anywhere on my machine. How much of the
> >NTP package is included?
>
> Tickadj is used to tweak kernel parameters to improve ntp operation.
> Since there is already ntp support built into the kernel I expect it's not
> needed, hence not provided.

Yabut, the FAQ says:

> >     3. Use the 'tickadj' program from the NTP distribution to twiddle
> >        the 'tick' variable in the kernel (the amount that's added to the
> >        time every time a clock interrupt hits) so as to more closely
> >        match what the true clock rate is (i.e, if the clock is running
> >        too fast, lower tick, if the clock is slow, raise tick). You'll
> >        need to do this anyway if you're going to use the solution I
> >        prefer,
> >     4. Run xntpd on your machine. This will continuously update the time
> >        on your system by contacting a time server on the network, and
> >        even when the network time server is unreachable, xntpd will use
> >        its best estimate of the frequency error in your clock to
> >        continuously adjust the time to be as close as possible to real
> >        time. I like this solution. The reason you still have to do the
> >        'tick' fiddling is because xntpd's phase-locked-loop code was
> >        designed to only handle frequency offsets of +/- 100ppm, and as
> >        I've said, most of the Apple clocks seem to have frequency
> >        offsets much worse than that.

I've got xntpd running (shows up fine in ps -aux), but it doesn't seem
to be doing its job. I've tested the NTP servers with Vremya on a Mac,
and they work fine. Here's my /etc/ntp.conf:

server ntp1.cwru.edu
server ntp2.cwru.edu
server ntp3.cwru.edu

That should do it, shouldn't it? Unless, as the FAQ says, I need
tickadj...

> I haven't tried to do anything with it yet, but I suspect that if you turn
> it on in the rc.conf file and create an appropriate /etc/ntp.conf file that
> it should work.  I will say that without a ntp.conf file that it doesn't
> even seem to see ntp broadcasts.

Did that. Still losing time. :(

--
A critic is a man who knows the way but can't drive the car.
     -- Kenneth Tynan