Subject: Re: Netscape
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1998 10:10:09
On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Michael R Zucca wrote:
> >
> > > As someone already pointed out, Netscape requires Motif and we don't yet
> > > have that yet...
> >
> > Don't one of the ports, like the Sun port, have a full Motif? How do we
> > have Mosaic without Motif and Lesstif a little too broken?
>
> No port ships with Motif.  I believe that anyone could get the sources and
> libraries if they were willing to pay enough for a license.

Yes, and since we've seen NetBSD programs with it, it works under NetBSD.
If you buy it.

> The way that Mosaic 2.7b3 runs is that it's statically linked against the
> Motif libraries (I have no idea who contributed it).  Later versions that
> are floating around require Lesstif, and thus they don't work quite as
> well.
>
> > We could also have somebody compile Netscape under SunOS with Motif
> > and that would work as well (SunOS compatibility to the rescue!).
>
> It kinda depends on the Motif license.  I don't think that all licenses
> allow redistribution, but I could be wrong.

What I've heard about it is that you can distribute staticly-linked
binaries. You can't distribute the Motif libraries alone.

So if someone who had access to the Motif libraries compiled
Netscape/NetBSD, we'd be fine.

Take care,

Bill