Subject: Re: installin 1.3...
To: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1998 21:14:50
Adrian Rollett wrote:

> ok, so I finally break down and decide to install 1.3 on my IIci (16 megs
> ram - quantum fireball 1080 - 1.2GENERIC#38) So, i grab the kernel, a few
> of the snapshots, throw the kernel in /, and reboot single user. then i
> run fsck, / is fine, /home is fine, but /usr/local partition says
> disk read fails on block 19 or some such
> then it proceeds to fail on 20-26 or so, then tell me i can't mount -a
> /usr/local, cause the superblock is the wrong size - this is all from
> memory, so you'll have to excuse the shaky terminology ;)
> so i was freaked out, thought i was hosed. well, i put the old kernel
> back, booted multiuser and had no problems whatsoever - not a one!
> So, I'm at least confused, if not worried here...
> anyone gots ideas...?

Sure, do a

disklabel sdX

where "X" is the number of the drive which has your /usr/local partition
on it.  My guess is that your parition has moved up a slot, so your
/etc/fstab is now incorrect.  You'll need to edit your /etc/fstab to
reflect the new reality.  This change is due to the fact that we no longer
put Apple Driver partitions in the faked in-kernel disklabel.  It is
discussed at length in the upgrade section of the INSTALL doc.

I hope this does it.

Later.