Subject: xntpd
To: NetBSD Mac <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1998 20:13:19
>From FAQ section 3.17, regarding the system clock losing time:

>     3. Use the 'tickadj' program from the NTP distribution to twiddle
>        the 'tick' variable in the kernel (the amount that's added to the
>        time every time a clock interrupt hits) so as to more closely
>        match what the true clock rate is (i.e, if the clock is running
>        too fast, lower tick, if the clock is slow, raise tick). You'll
>        need to do this anyway if you're going to use the solution I
>        prefer,
>     4. Run xntpd on your machine. This will continuously update the time
>        on your system by contacting a time server on the network, and
>        even when the network time server is unreachable, xntpd will use
>        its best estimate of the frequency error in your clock to
>        continuously adjust the time to be as close as possible to real
>        time. I like this solution. The reason you still have to do the
>        'tick' fiddling is because xntpd's phase-locked-loop code was
>        designed to only handle frequency offsets of +/- 100ppm, and as
>        I've said, most of the Apple clocks seem to have frequency
>        offsets much worse than that.

I read that 1.3 integrates NTP into the system. I'd like to run xntpd,
but I just can't find tickadj anywhere on my machine. How much of the
NTP package is included?

(I also tried compiling the latest stable release from
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/>, but it choked on me:

ntpdate.c: In function `init_alarm':
ntpdate.c:1322: storage size of `ntpdate_itimer' isn't known
ntpdate.c:1322: warning: unused variable `ntpdate_itimer'
*** Error code 1

Stop.)

--
We may eventually come to realize that chastity is no more a virtue
than malnutrition.