Subject: Re: Interesting rumour re Netscape
To: Greg Evans <mr_krak@televar.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1998 12:46:28
Greg Evans wrote:

> And if you don't believe MacInTouch....  try this URL
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/finance/980122/netscape_n_1.html

And if you don't believe that.... well, you should.

Source code most likely won't be released for several months, however,
until the PR of the 5.0 product. Note that we will be releasing source
code for all the platforms, including X11. :-) The problem (for
NetBSD/Mac folks) is that Netscape uses Motif, and there is no Motif for
NetBSD/Mac that I know of. Lesstif (a free Motif clone) is getting
there, but the last time I tried to compile some unnamed large X based
program that required Motif it was way too unstable to be usable.

The other thing is that it's very likely to be very slow on a 68k Mac
running NetBSD. Trust me.

	--John