Subject: Re: New to the list
To: Robert Hazbun <rhazbu01@shadow.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1998 10:10:33
On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Robert Hazbun wrote:

> If anyone has any part I can use I will buy them from you. I'm looking
> for 16 Mb of ram -> 4-4MB simms 30pin, 100ns or faster, nonparity. and
> about 300 mb of hard drive space.

The prices Colin mentioned sound good.

> Second, I was wondering if anyone has tested NetBSD for mac, on any
> machine that has been overclocked, I am going to overclock my cpu soon.
> up to 25Mhz, as you know, the macs came set at 20Mhz. if you need more
> info on this please goto the Clock Chipping Site:
>
> http://socs.berkeley.edu/~schrier/mhz.html
>
> This has been around for a while and has been tested and shown to have
> little or no problems.

Uhm, not so for my IIsi. :-( It WON'T take clock chirping. I tried it,
and all it'd do was crash w/ weird video squiggles. I think I need heat
sinks for the chips, but I can't find any which will just slap on top of
the chips; they all want to reach around under. :-(

> I would also like to know what kind of internet applications are
> available of port-m68k/NETBSD. Will Netscape run on it(not that I will
> try, but just curious)? I am mostly interested inweb server apps such as
> apache.

If it compiles under UN*X, it'll probably work. NetBSD has a new thing
called the packages system, which is a central store of patches to
programs on the net. If a program you want is in there, someone else has
made it work w/ NetBSD. If you have the latest version of
/usr/share/mk/bsd.port* (true if you have 1.3), then all you have to do is
cd to the package directory, and type "make". It will ftp the file, untar
it, patch it, configure it, and make it.

Take care,

Bill