Subject: Re: *So* close!
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: Greg Evans <mr_krak@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1998 02:13:24
[SNIP]

>Now, I'm utterly confused ... I've been running X in 1024x768 for many
>months on my Q610 (internal video, 17" SVGA with a generic Mac-video <->
>SVGA adapter)  with a home-built kernel, but no source changes atall ?
>
>In other words, what does the grf_iv.c mod and madhatter patch buy you
>that you don't already have ??
>
>Of course, I'm waiting for colour support for internal video, just as you :-)
>
>regards
>Erik Bertelsen

Erik,

Once I installed 1.3 from scratch I was no longer able to get any grf
devices to show up at boot time on my 17" Nokia monitor.  All worked well
on my 14" Apple Monitor though.  So, follwing the advice posted on the
list, I made the mod to grf_iv.c and manually typed in the madhatter
patch and magically I was finally able to run X in 800x600 (the most I
can support).  I am really not sure what the problem was, but I was sent
the following to fix it.

>>In grf_iv.c there is a line of code like:
>>	sense = (bus_space_read....
>>
>>	if(sense == 0)
>>	  found == 0 ;

WHen I commented these out and recompiled I got an error and my kernel
didn't compile, so I went back in to grf_iv.c and a few lines above that
there is another instance of the word sense, I deleted it and recompiled
and it started working.  I should note that I also had applied the
madhatter patch to machdep.c and then all went well.

-Greg