Subject: Re: Success in building 1.3B kernel.
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1998 11:07:05
On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

.. It seems that #including "ioconf.h" in grf.c was the only thing needed to
.. successfully build the 1.3B kernel. Everything seems to be running smoothly
.. so far.
This has since been corrected in -current.

.. 1) In /etc/myname I have "acheron.middleboro.ma.us", sans quotes. I noticed
.. in /etc/rc/conf that there are spots to include both a hostname and a domain
.. name. Would I be correct in assuming that I'd include nothing but "acheron"
.. as the hostname, and nothing but "middleboro.ma.us" as the domain name? I
.. don't have a sufficient clue, and I didn't see anything in the rc.conf man
.. page that would point in either direction. My sendmail and everything else
.. work well enough with my current setup, but I'd like to do things in the
.. canonical fashion.
As far as I know, the domainname that can be set in rc.conf is the NIS
domainname, and therefore completely unrelated to the machine's internet
domain name.

My recommendation: set the hostname in rc.conf to the fully qualified
domain name, and put the default domain name for lookups in
/etc/resolv.conf. Don't set domainname in rc.conf unless you are
running NIS.

..
.. 2) Why is -current -currently at 1.3B, and not 1.3A? I remember something
.. from the netbsd-current list from Perry saying that he was going to explain
.. this, but evidently I missed the explanation. Just curious.

Because 1.3A existed for the main NetBSD developers during the release
cycle, but it was upgraded to 1.3B before the sup server was converted
from NetBSD 1.3-release to -current -- nothing to worry about, really.

regards
Erik Bertelsen