Subject: Re: CPU delay factor
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1998 02:15:22
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Amitai Schlair wrote:
>
> > I just had a thought: once color video is well understood across the
> > various 68K Macs, it'd be tremendously nifty to integrate color-capable
> > virtual consoles (based on dt) into the kernel.
>
> I agree with everything you said except the in-the-kernel part. dt used to
> be in the kernel, and was moved out for a reason (though I wasn't around
> for it).

I'd guess (I wasn't around either, not by a long shot) that the reason
was the lack of a solid all-around video driver. All the free x86 UNIXes
I know of have VTs in the kernel, and they can do this because the video
drivers work robustly on all kinds of machines.

Another minor problem might be to handle the special case where there is
no local console (i.e., running headless). AFAIK dt doesn't handle this
well at all.

--
Do you realize the responsibility I carry? I'm the only man standing
between Nixon and the White House.