Subject: Re: More info on my filesystem problem
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Larry E Kollar <kollar@stc.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1998 00:29:15
Batching up a few responses -- thanks to all for your suggestions!

Colin:
>I've seen this same problem.  There is absolutely _no_ damage involved.

Um, I had several dozen binaries in /usr/bin and /usr/games go sour on
me.  I first noticed the problem when I logged into my non-root account
and the shell complained about "fortune" -- the executable bits got
turned off for about 10-20 consecutive binaries.  When I turned them
back on & tried to run any of them, NetBSD would complain about "invalid
architecture" or something like that (it had to do with architecture).
These executables *did* work until very recently.  It's not only the
games; important stuff like telnet is shot too.

I could live without df; comparing "du -s /usr" with the partition sizes
that I wrote down would suffice.  But having standard utilities go away
without warning is another matter. :-(

>I'm not quite sure where the problem is, but I think that
>it results from having your first usr partition at `g', and the next one
>at `e'.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work???  First usr partition is 'g', then
'e', 'f', 'h', etc....  I would think that putting five partitions on a
1GB drive would be fairly common.

SUNAGAWA Keiki:
>It seems that your df doesn't know larger disk.  BSD df
>shows blocks in 512 bytes blocks for default, so I think
>your df isn't stock df.

Do the standard tarballs come with more than one version of df?  I
haven't installed any other versions.  Next time I start NetBSD,
I'll find out which directory it's in.  But df *did* show the right
information for the last (and largest) partition -- it's just the
two in the middle that are wrong.

Christoph Badura:
>Have you tried filling in the fsize, bsize and cpg fields in the disklabel
>or did you give that information manually?

I haven't written the disklabel at all.  I need to look up those fields in
the manpage & see what they do.  But I don't think that modifying the disk-
label is going to fix the problem; it already has accurate block counts of
each partition.  The block counts displayed by fsck are also correct.

A general question -- is anyone else running with five BSD partitions (plus
one MacOS) on a single disk drive?  If so, how well does it work?  (My
original plan was to have only /home and /var writeable once I got every-
thing set up how I wanted it... I thought it would make the system more
stable.  Sheesh.)

        Larry Kollar, kollar@stc.net