Subject: Re: New to the list
To: Robert Hazbun <rhazbu01@shadow.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/21/1998 18:58:55
Robert Hazbun wrote:

> Frist off I would like to say hello to everybody, my name is Rob and I
> am new to this list.

Hi!  Welcome.

> I am currently setting up my Mac IIsi and trying to upgrade it so as to
> use it as a web server and I would like to run Net BSD for mac., I
> already downloaded it. Here's the catch, I only have 3 megs of ram and a
> 40 meg HD.

Definitely need a lot more of those two :-)  At least 8MB RAM and 100MB
storage.

> If anyone has any part I can use I will buy them from you. I'm looking
> for 16 Mb of ram -> 4-4MB simms 30pin, 100ns or faster, nonparity. and
> about 300 mb of hard drive space.

Take a look at www.onsale.com.  They usually have pretty cheap memory and
drives ($9-$15 for 4MB SIMM's and $200-$300 for 4GB drives, a lot less
for smaller drives).

> Second, I was wondering if anyone has tested NetBSD for mac, on any
> machine that has been overclocked, I am going to overclock my cpu soon.
> up to 25Mhz, as you know, the macs came set at 20Mhz. if you need more
> info on this please goto the Clock Chipping Site:
> http://socs.berkeley.edu/~schrier/mhz.html
>
> This has been around for a while and has been tested and shown to have
> little or no problems.

I don't know of any reason why this wouldn't work as long as the basic
interrupts still occur 60Hz.

> I would also like to know what kind of internet applications are
> available of port-m68k/NETBSD. Will Netscape run on it(not that I will
> try, but just curious)? I am mostly interested inweb server apps such as
> apache.

No Netscape (nor is it likely to happen anytime in the forseeable future),
but Apache works just fine (I think that www.macbsd.com, a IIcx, is
running Apache).

I hope this helps some.

Later.