Subject: Re: installing problems
To: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 19:29:26
On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Rodney M. Hopkins wrote:

> You are correct.  I still have not rerun Mkfs.  At this point however, I'm
> almost willing to give it a try.  I have nothing to lose really, except a
> few hours in configuring Emacs and Apache and considerably more hours in
> compiling the two, but hey, compile time is cheap nowadays..  ;)

Just tar them up, and cpout them to a MacOS disk. Got a zip drive (should
work fine under MacOS)?

> I have considered this, though at this point, we're back to square one.
> Meaning, I'd have to destroy my BSD partitions and start from scratch as I
> originally partitioned all of my disk space minus 150M or so as BSD.  But
> as I said, I'm about to the point where I'm willing to do this.
>
> There are some things about this process that I'm not at all clear on
> however.  The primary one being, how much of NetBSD (or in my case OpenBSD)
> do I need to install in order to have a system that functions enough to
> boot multiuser (I assume), run "newfs", and then un-tar the compressed
> install files?

If you get all of base.tgz and etc.tgz on there, you can boot multi-user.
You really just need newfs, tar, gzip, and whatever shared libraries they
need.

>                I am unclear if I would need essentially a fully functional
> BSD system on that small partition, including /usr and so on or what.  The
> other thing I am unsure about is how to use "newfs" but I'm sure I can read
> that in the man pages when the time comes.  Also exactly how to tell BSD
> where to find the new /usr, /var and /home directories once I get the new
> larger partition created and formatted using "newfs."  I assume it's just a
> matter of editing fstab after manually mounting the respective drives and
> installing the proper files to those drives using tar -xvzpf or simply
> moving the contents of the existing /usr, /var and /home directories to
> their "new" drives.  But again, I'm a little unclear as to exactly how this
> would work.  (The actual mechanics of mounting different partitions and
> moving stuff from say the existing /usr to the "new" /usr without losing my
> ability to read the original currently escapes me.)

I'd say go for a unified root and usr. It fits into one 100 MB partition
on my system.

Use disklabel to see what partitions have shown up at what disk partition.
Then assuming you know where the old partitions are on disk, mount them on
/mnt (one at a time or so), then just cp -pR /mnt /usr should do wonders.
Check the man pages.

Take care,

Bill